Friday, January 22, 2010

Running in the cold and fog

What a great day for a run. 40 degrees, foggy.  Fabulous!  I will say that cold weather running is great after the first 10 minutes.  The first 10 minutes I am cold cold cold and wishing for another layer or 10.  Then I start to warm up and find a rhythm and I forget that I'm cold.  Then after another ten minutes I start stripping off the layers I do have.  Off come the gloves, shove in pocket, unzip windbreaker, tuck hat into waistband.  That's me over there stripping down at mile 10 of the half marathon I ran in November.  Saw my family cheering on the sidelines and was thrilled at the opportunity to dump all my extra layers on them!  Little did I know that if you dumped your clothes on the course they had a reasonable chance of making in to the dumped clothes box at the finish line.  Would have done that a lot sooner!!!!!

Finishing up is a little shocking too because you get cold REALLY fast!!!!  So what do I do?  Go outside and work on cleaning up the pool from the freeze we had a week ago.  Cause sticking your hands in icy water is a great way to warm up.  Maybe the cold zapped my intelligence.

Did 6.45 miles in 1:10:36.  A year ago I would have said you were crazy if you said I would go out for a relatively normal run on a normal day and put in over 6 miles.  And even crazier if you had said I would love it so much. 

1 comment:

  1. Woo-hoo! Great time. Love the photo, too.
    We had VERY RARE fog yesterday. I shoulda run.

    ReplyDelete