Sunday, February 28, 2010

That feeling in the pit of your stomach...

I found this cool blog by a new nurse called "Fundus Chop". You'll have to read it to figure out what that means but it made me howl with laughter. She talks here about being a new nurse and that feeling int he pit of your stomach that maybe something will go really wrong and it will be because you are new, inexperienced and don't know your stuff yet.  Ya, I'm getting to be friendly with that feeling. This week I had a patient who was bleeding just a little too much postpartum. Then it was a little more, then it was a big clot, then a call to the midwife for some methergine, then more bleeding, then a foley catheter to keep her bladder empty, then FINALLY the bleeding slowed down.  My preceptor said that it didn't turn into a hemorrhage because I stayed on top of it and we intervened but it still acquainted me with that fear knot all night long.  When i go check her will she be bleeding? Will I massage her uterus hard enough to get it to clamp down? Will I recognize if it is boggy? If it's boggy what do I do??????  Thankfully I am not alone. The rest of the nurses are very nice and very willing to help and answer questions but still so much to learn! 

No comments:

Post a Comment